Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Decisions, decisions...

I want to paint my walls.  All my walls.  Right now everything is Glidden Antique White.  Walls, trim, ceiling, everything!  It is a nice neutral white.  The biggest problem is that it was all applied very poorly.  The homeowner before me sprayed all the walls and was very light handed with the spray.  His wife did the trim and she was very stingy with how much paint she put on the brush!  I have put this off as long as I can.

So - my first dilemma.  What color?!  My living room and dining room are connected so that is the biggest space on the first floor.  I decided that I want something in the beige family.  (Oh, how I would love the trendy grey but I will save that for the bathroom when I finally paint it.  This paint job will be a one time thing for me.)  Once I decided on the idea of beige - what beige?


 



Some beige colors lean toward green, some to orange, some to grey.  Then there is the whole issue of light.  Most colors look very different as the lighting in the room changes.  What happens if I love it in the morning light and hate it in the late afternoon light?  What if I paint the room, put all my furniture back into place and hate the color all together?

Maybe I should just get more Antique White and call it a day...

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I vote for white. :) All mine are an eggshell white, or a close variation, and I haven't regretted it. NO matter how you change the room, the walls always work. We had all of our walls painted when we bought our house (17 years ago), and except for touch ups, it is still the same.

cindy said...

If you really like the color, just repaint it the same....my favorite beige was Ralph Lauren Canvas Natural, but they don't make it anymore and Home Depot no longer has the formula in their computers. Meanies.

You could get a paint chip in the antique white and compare it with a few others in the same family if you'd like to go a bit lighter or darker.

Unknown said...

I'm with Cindy - if you love the color repaint it the same!!!
I love grays and often just repaint the wall the same color!
XOX

Kristie said...

Hi Suzan, I just realized that you had this house blog so I'm reading over it. Paint is always a hard choice for me. I do love all of this grey and white that you see everywhere online, but I have a hard time going out of my comfort zone. I keep thinking, "what happens when grey goes out and some other color is hot?" I can't afford to repaint every few months. I stuck with a simple light creamy beige for most of my house. I have so much woodwork that we have worked hard to make that I just can't bring myself to paint it either. I do have to admit that bathroom #3 does have white walls and grey tiles. :) I don't have it completed but that is the only room that we have actually bought all of the trim for instead of making it so we just bought white trim.
Kristie