Monday, August 4, 2008

It's just one surprise after the other...

Well, I went over to the house on Sunday just to see what had been completed since I last looked. Unfortunately, the seller wasn't there so I had to peer into the windows. The lights in the kitchen are up and I am not happy. The center light is glass and copper and I like it very much. The pendant lights to illuminate the kitchen counters are brushed silver with cobalt blue art glass. Is it just me or IS THIS NOT THE MOST BIZARRE COMBINATION? Good grief! I also could see that the electric baseboard heaters have been installed. I asked specifically where the one in the kitchen would be placed. I was assured there were two small ones that would be under the side windows. Oh no, that's not where they are. There is one large unit centered on the wall between the windows...exactly where my dry sink is supposed to go. I could not see where they are in the dining room or living room. I swear, if they are not under windows in those rooms I will lose my mind! Now I have to hire an electrician to come in, move whatever units are not placed correctly and then get my brother to replace baseboards. I will also have to purchase pendant lights for the kitchen and have those installed.

Warning to all - NEVER buy a house until it is finished unless your contract specifies that changes cannot be made without your permission. Oh, well..it's just money...

1 comment:

The Calico Quilter said...

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that specifying the clause about you having to approve changes would have helped. Even if it's in writing, what do you do - sue them? They're pretty sure you not going to spend your money on that thankless quest. That's why I am so skittish about building a new house versus buying one I can walk up to and examine. I'm talking to a builder right now, and the product he describes sounds perfect - but what would I get in the end? BTW, the light choices say "sale table at the hardware store" to me. You sound too nice to have a complete screaming fit at him, but do you have a large male friend who could do the honors? LOL