Friday, January 23, 2009

Insulation


This is probably the first time in my life that I have wanted to rush winter and move into spring as quickly as possible. Last month I received a nearly $300 electric bill. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I immediately called the power company and found out that it was from an actual reading and that it included an extra 5 days. Still...that number was just way too high. I knew I had some draft issues. I just didn't realize how much they were costing me!

My brother has come for two consecutive weekends to do insulating work for me. He is coming again this Sunday to caulk. Apparently the meatball that "flipped" my house did not caulk around windows, baseboards or doors. My brother has shoved insulation everywhere he could reach and then put spray insulation around the sill plate in the basement. All of that has helped. My kitchen floor is very cold so in the spring he is going to put foam board insulation under my floor joists.

I love the look of my pocket door going down to the basement but it will have to be replaced. Way too much cold air gets around the door so right now I have the door pocket space filled with foam caulk filler. I hung an insulated curtain from WalMart over the door so that you can't see how strange the door looks. I used a pretty wrought iron looking rod that matches one that I have a quilt hanging on in the dining room. (The sage green looks so nice that I think I am going to replace my dining room curtains with a set!) My brother is going to hang a "real" door there for me so that there is a seal between cold basement air and warm dining room air.

"Frost King" is my new favorite company!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, Suzan, I would have a heart attach too! Thank God for your brother and his helpful nature and helpful hands.

I have a wonderful brother too, who has made my house what it is today. We couldnt' have done it without him.

Blessings to you. Have a beatiful, wonderful weekend!

Love,
Michelle

Amelia said...

Suzan, oh the perils of owning you own home. Wonderful that your brother loves you so much to do these things for you.

I am sure the heating bill will come down with the improvements that have taken place.

Have a warm weekend! Spring is about 55 days away - then we can plant flowers...my kind of fun!