Friday, September 26, 2008

The joys of living in "the country"...

I live in a very small town (population of 2600 in the 2000 census) that was established in 1762. George Washington really DID sleep here! It has many beautiful old homes, narrow streets, barns in the middle of the town, etc. The town is in the midst of farmland...mostly farmed by Mennonite and Amish folk. It is very beautiful and green all around where I live. Why is it so green?


Cows...lots of cows...and lots of cow manure. In the spring and in the fall, the farmers spray the fields with some sort of manure "tea". The smell is pretty horrific. Not as bad as living near the mushroom houses on the other side of the county but pretty smelly nonetheless.

The other day, I noticed a nasty smell in the house. My first thought was the litter box. Then I realized that I recognized the smell. Farmers are spraying. Oh, my goodness! Guess it is too late now to re-think my house purchase!!

5 comments:

Nan said...

Your town sounds like the kind of place I would absolutely love - smells and all!
When we were in Bird-in-Hand, there was an Amish farmer spraying manure in his field close to the road. Wow what a smell!! Ah, the country life for me!
I am so looking forward to reading about more adventures in your new nest.

Regina said...

ooh - the country bouquet - love it!

The Calico Quilter said...

OH -- maybe it will fade quickly. I know the smell well. When I worked near Spring City, Tn, every day I drove by fields that periodically got the manure treatment. It's hard to hold your breath for five miles!

Hazel said...

Oh I know that smell well ,before we moved here we lived in the country .I have found a worse smell and thats a cabbage farm ,even thinking about it makes me sick .Believe it or not ,you do get used to it .

Barb said...

Yep Suzan, I know that smell, my area does the same type of field treatment, but it is far better then the fumes of the city! At least the manure smells eventully fade :>)!! I never want to leave the country!