Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mexican White Dip

I totally made up the name of this recipe since I have no idea what else to call it!  In the Tidewater area of Virginia, every Mexican restaurant serves their version of this dip along with salsa and a big bowl of chips as an appetizer.  When I moved to Seattle I discovered that restaurants there do not serve it and no one had any idea what I was talking about when I mentioned it.

I have been stewing about this for a while and the other day I looked for a recipe on the internet.  There were several but I found a YouTube video with a woman who had the recipe given to her by the owner of Plaza Azteca in Virginia Beach so I KNOW it's the recipe for the dip I love.  I made it and took it to the office.  A couple of people turned up their nose when they asked for the ingredients and I mentioned Miracle Whip.  I know - you either love it or hate it.  After everyone else was trying it, making yummy noises and asking for the recipe, the nay sayers tried it.  I have converts!!

Mexican White Dip


1 cup Miracle Whip (I bought the "light" version)
1/2 cup milk (any fat percentage will work)
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin 
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (this is pretty spicy so cut back a half to full teaspoon if you are "delicate"!)
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano (I just used what I had in the cabinet and it worked fine)
Dash of salt (I put Johnny's Seasoning Salt on EVERYTHING!!)

Put everything in a small mixing bowl in the order given.  Use a whisk to mix thoroughly.  You want to get all of the lumps out and incorporate the milk completely.  Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour - two would be better.  Serve with corn chips.  I picked up the cheapest corn tortilla chips I could find.  I think they taste most like the ones served in restaurants.



Enjoy!!

(By the way, I realize this post follows the one about losing weight.  I am continuing to lose - whoo hoo!! - and ate this dip in moderation...though I seriously considered giving up dinner and eating this instead!)


5 comments:

Rustown Mom said...

wow - found this recipe via Hope Studios. Never heard of it either, and I am smack dab in the middle of Tex Mex, USA. So, I'm just going to have to try it...I'll make the supreme sacrifice for science...

Jerry Callender said...

I am just 'down the street' from 2 Plaza Azteca's (Haygood and Shore Drive)and just found your recipe, which I intend to try this weekend.

I make chips myself - largest flour tortillas cut into wedges - I generally use three...a drizzle of Crisco vegetable oil to just dampen each 'chip'.

Arrange on a rack in a jelly roll pan, pinches of sea salt and a sprinkling of whatever spice one prefers. WHOLE FOODS has various Peruvian/Mexican seasonings 'pinched' on the chips and then baked at 375 for 12-13 minutes...

Unknown said...

This is Perfect! Love it!

Unknown said...

I live in Virginia Beach and know the sauce you are talking about! In fact, I just had it yesterday at Senor Fox. Thanks for sharing the recipe! People out west don't know what they're missing!

Unknown said...

Has anyone that’s had the real deal made this? Is it like the resturants? (I am in no way doubting, but I’ve been looking for a true recipe and have failed in finding it so far so I’m hopeful) I’m a VA to WA transplant and miss this stuff!!!